All NHCA students participate in the Young Peacemakers program. The program is taught by classroom teachers and is implemented school-wide during chapel and Team Events. The curriculum helps children understand conflict from a biblical perspective and experience change at the deepest levels of their hearts. Students learn about confession, forgiveness, communication and character development. The curriculum utilizes realistic stories, practical applications, and role plays to develop these principles. Parents are provided with copies of materials used during class instructional time in order to use the principles at home if they wish.
The twelve key principles taught in the curriculum for Young Peacemakers are:
1. Conflict is a slippery slope.
2. Conflict starts in the heart
3. Choices have consequences.
4. Wise-way choices are better than my-way choices.
5. The blame game makes conflict worse.
6. Conflict is an opportunity.
7. The five A's of Confession can resolve conflict.
8. Forgiveness is a choice.
9. It is never too late to start doing what is right.
10. Think before you speak.
11. Respectful communication is more likely to be heard.
12. A respectful appeal can prevent conflict.