Senior Pastor Job Posting
North Heights Lutheran Church is a multi-generational, two-campus congregation in the northern suburbs of St. Paul, MN. Our goal is to be a major renewal center that brings together the body of Christ in uplifting worship celebrations, proclaims a Bible-based, grace-oriented message, and equips believers for Spirit-led ministry. Each weekend we gather approximately 1,100 worshipers across multiple services on the two campuses. We also offer opportunities for study and service throughout the week. North Heights is affiliated with the Alliance of Renewal Churches (ARC) and has a rich heritage, embracing:
- Our Lutheran heritage which provides God's firm foundation that salvation comes by grace alone, through faith and not by our own merit.
- Our Evangelical heritage in Jesus Christ recognizing the Bible as the inerrant Word of God, and reminding us of our need for a personal commitment to make Christ the Lord of our life and to make Him known to others.
- Our Spirit-filled heritage demonstrating the extravagance of our God who faithfully gives His Holy Spirit to those who ask, empowering us to live in His supernatural strength and gifting.
The Senior Pastor will serve as the spiritual leader and pastor over North Heights, working under the authority of the Council of Elders, with humility to meet the needs of the body of North Heights and beyond. The Senior Pastor will:
- Share a commitment to live out the Great Commission as the foundation of ministry.
- Shepherd the spiritual well-being and growth of the entire North Heights community.
- Accept primary responsibility and accountability for the scriptural integrity of all teaching, preaching and communications at both campuses.
- Encourage, embrace, and develop the gifts of the Holy Spirit within the body.
- Live, believe, and preach that the power of the Holy Spirit is available today just as the church in the book of Acts.
- Collaborate with the NHLC pastoral staff to develop sermon themes and teaching schedules.
- Shepherd the Church including the financial and physical assets.
- Is Jesus-focused and Holy Spirit-filled.
- Believe the Bible to be the inspired Word of God and the infallible authority in all matters of proclamation, faith and life.
- Demonstrates personal alignment to the beliefs of North Heights (Lutheran, Evangelical, Spirit-filled) and full investment in the congregation. See What We Believe
- 15 years of pastoral experience preferred, including leadership responsibilities and supervision of staff.
- Is a member in good standing of a Clergy Roster or graduate of an accredited Seminary.
How to Apply
Apply by email to Pastor.Call@nhlc.org.
Attach to the email in PDF or Word format:
- Cover letter expressing your interest in the position and describing your alignment with North Heights Lutheran Church’s vision and how your experience and skills match the position summary and qualifications
- Written statement of personal beliefs that address your alignment to North Heights' belief statement What We Believe
- Current resume
- Professional references will be requested at the appropriate time in the process.
Candidates are urged to expedite their applications. The position will remain open until a candidate is selected. Completed applications will be acknowledged by return email within one week of submission. Questions may be emailed to Pastor.Call@nhlc.org. Please include your preferred contact information so we may respond to your questions in a timely manner.
Call Committee Update
The Call Committee has been diligently working behind the scenes. The committee members are: Steve Pheneger, Marlene C Rupp, Wendy Gunard, Duane Haugen, Greg Moser, Dave Plourde (chair) and Gary Engelbrecht. Council representatives (constitutional requirement) are John Oldfield (president), Linda Morken (vice president) and Ken Kerns (secretary). Please remember them and our next Senior Pastor in your prayers.
The Committee has contacted the pastors that had previously submitted their application to determine their interest in being considered during the current process. Additionally, there will be a broader search to identify pastors that may wish to submit an application. The Senior Pastor Call Committee invites member referrals or interested pastors to contact 651-797-7777 or Pastor.Call@nhlc.org.
The Committee will make a report to the congregation during a Sunday service on November 27.